Monday, September 13, 2010

DDO on Wine (Mac)

I was quite excited this weekend to remove my boot camp partition as I had gotten DDO working very well in Wine on my MacBook Pro.

I did have to install Xcode, updated version of x11, macports, and then use macports to install wine and used winetricks to install directx support and such.

I copied DDO from a windows partition, then installed pylotro and pidgin with xblaze so I could get game detection.

Overall, works very well. I did have to set up another xfire account so I could use a mac xfire client at the same time for growl support and so I could change apps (wine, x11 and ddo don't like changing apps!)

One advantage so far is that I am running all of my wine apps off of two 8 gb flash drives in a striped RAID. Load times are minimal, and performance is better than off of the internal 5400 rpm drive.

I'll have to test to see if my iMic and cheap headset works in this configuration, which would be another boon.

Since OS 10.6 got some updated graphics drivers thanks to Steam, I might upgrade sooner than I had thought.

3 comments: