Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What happened?

So, I was with my static group with a ranger and a rogue, and we were on the last quest in Sorrowdusk. We had just finished Quench the Flames, which uses the same map.

In that quest, we had a major problem. The fire traps couldn't be spotted or searched by either the ranger or the rogue. Perhaps this was because the rogue was level 10 and it is a level 10 quest we were trying on hard. So, we made it through at great cost of spells and time. And then while fighting mephits, the ranger died. I started healing the rogue with wands and spells, who had collected the soul stone and was going for the shrine. But by that time, the resist fire spell had worn off and she died in the fire trap. I knew I couldn't make it through with my low hp and made a final stand against the mephits.

Luckily, the rogue was close enough to the shrine to res, and she did, and the ranger was able to as well. He then came through the trap and got my stone as well.

It wasn't until after all of that did the rogue get her enhancements, clickies and wands out and find and disable the trap (?!).

But, that is just a foreward to what I am writing about. So we're in the next quest, knowing the traps are a problem. Fire trap: disarmed. Got the collectibles, and the rogue falls into lava. Reason: lag due to slow computer. Can't get her stone, and I am mad at myself again for not having the raise dead enhancement this time around. So she recalls. And her bind point? No, not the ship, which would be obvious...but the spa in ataraxia. So we are waiting for her, and the ranger decides to go to the other side where all the sarcophagus' are and smashes them. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by wights. Don't forget the arrow traps on the way, which we have no way of disabling on our own. either coming or going.

So, the rogue finally comes back, and begins sneaking around, from the start of the zone, into the arrow trap, and dies again. "What, I was stealth?!" I don't really play a sneaking rogue, but I'm beginning to think that stealth doesn't mean you can avoid traps.

At that point, it was better to log off to avoid spouse aggro, then try to press through.

You can probably guess what I'm going to say next: Should a rogue be able to handle the search/spot/disable checks on traps on a 'hard' quest. I'm thinking, yes, because she was able to with the right enhancements, fox cunning, etc.

Comments welcome!

1 comment: