Friday, October 10, 2008

Gaming tonight

Well, after playing D&D 3.x for what seems like years and years, we are going back to Palladium Fantasy. I attribute it to 1) GM burnout and 2) D&D burnout.

To be fair, I do like D&D. One of the major reasons I started DMing D&D was that our Palladium GM, John, seemed to be getting tired of it. I've GM'd before, but knew I didn't have time to really sit down and craft out session after session by hand. I had looked at some of the Kingdoms of Kalamar stuff, being a big fan of Knights of the Dinner Table. Since then, I've mainly been running purchased modules.

However, there are a few things I don't like about it. Advancement is too quick. You don't have time to get used to your skills and abilities before you get more. It's too tactical, and almost requires a mat, which is how we play it. This prohibits sitting around a living room and playing, which is how we often played Palladium. It encourages min/maxing...Palladium does too, but in a different way.

However, playing Palladium does have a price. John, the GM, wants to play a game of Rifts. He GM'd a game a few sessions, but never got to play. So, we'll be alternating Palladium Fantasy and Rifts, instead of alternating D&D Kalamar and D&D Undermountain like we are now.

I'll be posting my thoughts on the systems and a few things that happen in the games here, so check back regularly. Comments welcome!

No comments: